New Work: Prime book and SL sell shirt

Well, it's officially wedding season around here, and I literally can't even remember what year it is, because in addition to wrapping up some invitations for this fall, I'm also working on next year's season: invitations for 2012! But before posting images of work from upcoming nuptials, "I do" want to share some work I did in the spring. I had the opportunity to work with some friends from my old stomping grounds, Student Life. This year I designed the summer sell shirt and a 42-page section in Prime, the last Bible study book in a series of six.


The sell shirt was Andy-Warhol inspired and featured the "heart, soul, strength" concept found in Deuteronomy 6:5. I wanted to streamline those three ideas into a working icon which could be used for each--hands shown in three different positions. We used hot colors, halftones to simulate overprinting, and a grid to reference pop art screen printing. 


Art Direction: Dana Humphreville, Events Resource Manager


Student Life Bible Study books hold a unique place in the market in that they are fully graphic. I had the chance to design a 42-page section on "misfits"--people in the Bible who walked by faith and were thus treated as outcasts. The art direction for this section called for a vintage circus/freak show look. We hit the jackpot and found high-resolution royalty-free vintage circus posters, many of which I was able to edit to show our section headers rather than existing headlines. This was such a fun section because I got to use great display typefaces, rich imagery, lots of overlays, and bold color. Each page represented a day's Bible study and thus had to work as a single page as well as part of a spread.































Project Editor: Jeremy Maxfield
Creative Direction: Drew Francis


Want to see more of my design work? Check out my portfolio!

Pin It


Category Article , , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...